Sunday, January 6, 2013

We have a start on the site!

Hello!

It's been a while since I've updated you with my progress. I've been doing a lot of reading on Malta's history, culture, water availability, climate change threats, etc...all to prepare me for creating the teaching modules on the website. It's been really interesting and fun to learn about. I'd say I'm on my way to becoming a Malta expert.

As far as the website goes--there's progress! We are hoping to have our own virtual server to run our Omeka site soon, but in the meantime, the test server is working just fine. We are still in the process of choosing a finalized logo and design concept for the site, after having a few dozen Graphic Design students submit suggestions. I created a survey for other members of our ICEX team to help decide, but no conclusions have been made yet. Until we decide on something, I have been working on a temporary design so our website doesn't look too "under construction." Here's a screenshot of the home page:


So far, I've created some different pages to break up the site. I wrote and published the "About The Project" page, which has sections on the Water Ways project, ICEX program, the People involved, and Funding information. 

I've created the pages for Our Research and Teaching Resources, but haven't yet written/compiled the information that will go into these sections of the website.

The website theme I'm using was originally created by someone else for Omeka, and I've been trying to go into the code and mess around to see what I can do. It's definitely a learning experience and I'm looking forward to see what I can turn the website into.

Next steps will be to choose a logo for Water Ways and decide how we want users to navigate through the website. I'll also start working on a teaching module. I'll keep you posted--my New Year's Resolution is to update more often.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment